By Leo Babauta
There’s nothing we can do more to further our meaningful work and make the impact that we want to make in the world than to:
- Pick our most important, meaningful tasks
- And dive into them with full focus
And yet, it seems to be a challenge for almost every person on this planet. Very few people regularly overcome distraction, procrastination, the urge to do small tasks or check email and messages, rationalization and running from discomfort to our usual comforts.
This challenge is about picking out your high-impact, high-priority tasks every day, and then diving into it, letting go of the urge to go to distractions, the urge to procrastinate, the uncertainty that comes with these meaningful tasks.
It’s about overcoming our age-old habits of procrastination, and diving into our meaningful work.
Here’s how the challenge works:
- Week 1: Pick 1 meaningful task a day and do 10 minutes of it first thing in the morning (or whenever you start working).
- Week 2: Do 2 sessions of 10 minutes your meaningful task first thing when you start working each day. Break up the two sessions with a 5-minute break. We’re training our ability to stay focused on what’s important, but in doable sessions.
- Week 3: Pick 2 important tasks each day, and do 3 10-minute sessions. Two sessions can be for the first task, then the third for the second task. Sessions have a 5-minute break in between. Again, we’re further training ourselves to stay on task and not put it off.
- Week 4: Pick 3 important tasks each day, and do 4 10-minute sessions. Split up the 4 sessions however you like between the 3 important tasks. You can take a longer break between them if needed, so that you don’t have to spend a consecutive hour doing these sessions but can spread them out in the beginning part of your work day.
During the challenge, I’ll provide articles about the focus sessions and how to choose and dive into the important tasks.
The Benefits of this Training
This is actually daily training into focus and prioritization.
If you do this challenge and really commit to it, you’ll find some powerful benefits:
- You’ll start to get good at starting on things. This is so important in today’s world of distraction, but it’s always been tough to not run to the habit of procrastination. Getting good at not putting things off is a superhero skill.
- You’ll start to train in staying in the uncertainty of meaningful work. If you practice in this invaluable skill, there’s almost nothing you can’t do beyond physical limitations. We stop letting fear and discomfort hold us back. We stop being afraid of difficulty and uncertainty. We cultivate fearlessness.
- And maybe even launch a project you’ve been waiting your whole life to launch. Your love song to the world. If you have a gift to give to the world, it’s a shame to not give it.
Join the Challenge in Sea Change
If you join Sea Change today (with a 7-day free trial), you can join the challenge and get:
- An article each week to help you dive into the challenge
- A community of people supporting each other, including small teams you can join to hold you accountable
- A live video webinar with me, where I give a talk and then answer your questions live
- A huge content of library to help you change the habits you’ve always wanted to change
Source: Zen Habits